It is estimated that 400,000 Australians who survived the polio epidemics of last century may now be experiencing new post-polio symptoms and a host of co-morbidities as they age. Currently, there is a paucity of health professionals who can recognise and effectively manage the Late Effects of Polio (LEoP).
Date and venue TBA
The workshop will cover the following topics in an interactive, relaxed format:
- Why We Vaccinate: a brief history of polio in Australia
- Demystifying Late Effects of Polio and Post-Polio Syndrome: what’s the difference?
- The Aging Polio Population: joining the dots of problems experienced in LEoP / PPS clients
- “Did You Have Polio?”: identifying people who may be experiencing LEoP / PPS
MORNING TEA BREAK – 20 mins
- A Holistic Approach to Care: referring to allied health and specialists, lifestyle management
- To Brace or Not to Brace? Clint Nielsen of Orthotic Solutions Queensland
- A Late Effects of Polio Case Study: Q&A with local polio survivor and team care simulation
Workshops offered by Polio Australia are developed and driven by best-practice research emerging from Europe and the USA. Kristy Rackham, a holistic Registered Nurse and health educator, will be facilitating the workshop, with vital contributions from a ‘lived experience expert’ polio survivor, and polio orthotic specialist Clint Nielsen.
Polio Australia wishes to build a complement of skilled and knowledgeable ‘polio’ practitioners across many different modalities around Australia to further increase awareness and standardise care provision for polio survivors.
As such, attendees will complete a short assessment at the conclusion of the event and receive a certificate of attendance and earn 2.5 CPD hours. After completing this training you may also choose to be nominated as a preferred ‘LEoP Practitioner’ on the Polio Australia Interdisciplinary Post-Polio Health Professionals Register.
Clinical Practice Resource
As a thank you for attending, and to further your education, we have also made available a complementary downloadable copy of Polio Australia’s clinical resource published at Parliament in Canberra last October, “The Late Effects of Polio: Managing Muscles and Mobility”.
The manual is a fantastic ‘go to’ resource for any health professionals who are already working with LEoP clients, and for those who wish to improve their working knowledge and clinical efficacy for managing different chronic conditions.
To attend this fascinating and informative workshop and enhance your expertise in chronic disease management, go here now to register.
If you are not on the Sunshine Coast, but are interested in attending this workshop in your own area please get in touch with Kristy Rackham.