THERE ARE TENS OF THOUSANDS
OF POLIO SURVIVORS IN AUSTRALIA
Do you work with a polio survivor in your aged care role?
Has a client mentioned a history of polio?
Are you worried you don’t understand what a history of polio means?
Would you like to know more to help polio survivors’ quality of life?
This FREE e-Learning course for Aged Care Workers is designed to:
a) improve your knowledge about polio and post-polio conditions,
b) help you understand the lives of Australian polio survivors, and
c) improve your ability to effectively help polio survivor clients.
About This Course
This course is for the more than 249,000 Personal Care Workers (PCWs) who work with clients in the Aged Care settings in Australia. The course covers information on post-polio conditions, polio survivors in Australia, and the management of polio survivors who utilise Aged Care.
There are tens of thousands of polio survivors in Australia who have varying degrees of disability, need for support, and awareness of their post-polio conditions. Most are over 65 years of age. Many have lived with some level of disability for a lifetime, or are experiencing it now.
By completing this course you will develop increased knowledge, strategies and confidence in your role assisting this client group within the Aged Care population.The information is relevant to both community and residential aged care workers.
NOTE: Allied Health and Medical professionals are encouraged to preview and request an in-person Clinical Practice Workshop, these being tailored to licensed professionals and endorsed by APNA, AOPA, ESSA and ANMF. Other types of carers may complete this course, and those who want to understand more about polio survivors and their health conditions may also complete the course.
On the right side and at the bottom of this page you can see the topics and sequence of the lessons that are a part of this course. Once you register and log in (see green text below), you will see information about each lesson and your progress.
There are no time limits when completing this course. You may take as long as you need, and exit and resume as many times as needed. The course takes just under two hours to complete. The times listed for each lesson include time to take the quiz.
In the bottom right of the screen once logged in, you will see a yellow note taking tab. You can take notes for each page, and later you can view all the notes, or print or download them. The notes tab can be placed elsewhere on the screen if you want to move it.
Each lesson has a two question quiz which needs at least one correct to continue. The final quiz has 5 questions, of which you need 4 or 5 correct to receive the certificate. In completing this course, you receive a certificate and two learning hours credit (CPD).
FIRST YOU NEED TO REGISTER, THEN LOG IN:
- Click on the orange “Login to Enrol” or “Take This Course” button.
- Enrol using the right/orange side of the login portal.
- Enrol using your FULL name (what you want on your certificate) as the USERNAME and a preferred email. Usernames cannot be changed later!
- Once you have enroled, please check for the email that was sent to you. The email may go to your SPAM folder so check there!
- You now set your password at the “Lost Your Password” link – it is found below the login fields on the white/left side of the enrol portal.
- Put in your email address and hit the “Reset Password” button. This confirms your email and sends you a second email with the password reset link in it.
- WAIT SEVERAL MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM TO CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL. Then refresh your email.
- Using the link in the second email open the password setting page.
- Set your password by entering it twice on that page, then hit the “Send” button.
- You can now log in at the same enrol portal where you enroled, using the fields on the left/white side.
- Once logged in, select the orange “Take This Course” button to get started.
- Click on the introduction lesson and the layout will change to a simpler view.
- You can now start the course in that first lesson.
- You have to go through this course in the sequence set, taking each lesson’s quiz as you go.
- Complete the lessons, quizzes, the final quiz and evaluation to receive your certificate.
–> A visual guide to this sequence can be found here! <–
Questions about this course can be emailed to the Clinical Educator for Polio Australia.
Want to start somewhere simple? Play our Post-polio Symptoms and Risks memory game!